Thursday, February 18, 2010

Office Space

Today, my coworker Drew asked me to go to a Lunch and Learn seminar with him. I don’t really know him too well, other than the fact that he works in our department. I met him a couple times, talked to him here and there, but how often can I see him? I mean he sits way across the other side of the building. At some point in time, he found out from some mutual coworkers that I had gone to a church retreat (JCA YA retreat holla!), which to me is astounding and utterly confusing. Why would the topic of me going on a church retreat ever come up in a conversation amongst my coworkers? (isn't there football going on?) I don’t know. But hey now we know; people will talk about anything so long as it allows them to take a water break from work. He eventually emailed me and encouraged me by saying, hey if you need anything let me know, as a fellow believer. I was so encouraged!



Anyway, fast forward to today. To be frank, I was pretty hesitant on going to the seminar. The seminar is pretty much a Bible study for company employees, which okay, I didn’t realize until now is SO freaking awesome. But I mean at the time, I was only thinking, it was my much needed break time, my deserved time away from the computer, from clients, from all the NONSENSE. My other coworkers are bugging me to go eat sushi with them for lunch; I love sushi; and I’m not in the mood for another Bible study; and I love sushi. But I promised this dude that I would go to the seminar with him. (the fact that there was free pizza didn’t hurt either). We walk over to a conference room and a good number of people are there, all company employees. I was thinking wow, this is like Sunday service…but…with coworkers?



So we watched a sermon from apparently this well known preacher Louis Giglio, and what do you know, it was relevant to us corporate folk. The main point being, it’s not what you do with your life, but whatever you do, do for the Lord and let Him be glorified from it. Simple yet powerful.



“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men…”
-Colossians 3:23



Such an awesome verse, and such a gut check for me personally. Struggling tremendously with work that truthfully I’m not passionate about, it’s hard to give 110% sometimes. I have a lot to learn; but one thing I want to learn quickly is that I want to give my all in everything I do, while giving Him all the glory. I’m impatient and I want that now!



After the sermon the band in the video played “how great is our God” (undoubtedly on JCA’S top 25 most played list if it had an iPod) and midway through the song I hear people that I’m sitting with slowly start to sing along- to the older looking janitor guy sitting in front of me, to the straight up southern guy with his polo tucked in to my right, to the young and beautiful HR lady sitting behind me. Awkward at first, it was so humbling and …so beautiful that right then and there, I felt tears rolling down my face…



I’m guilty of placing this invisible wall between my spiritual life and my secular life. I’m guilty of underestimating God’s presence and his ability to touch ppl wherever and whenever. And wow, He just made it easier for people like me to share his awesomeness with non-believing coworkers, with seminars in our office building…like come on, there’s no excuse to not invite someone to that, is there?



Praise be to God


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's really cool that happened at work! I too am guilty of separating my spiritual life from my secular life. I need to work on being more consistent.

    ReplyDelete